Saturday, August 21, 2010

Scarborough Bluffs, Toronto, Ontario






Why join the mass weekend exodus on  packed highways to cottage country when here in Toronto we're already on beautiful Lake Ontario with miles of coastline and plenty of clean, swimmable beaches?
This summer I've found myself many an evening in Toronto's east end at the Scarborough Bluffs, wading through wildflowers on top of Cathedral Bluffs with a walking buddy, having a drink in the Dogfish Pub at the marina or enjoying the breeze on the beach with the seagulls and Pat. A favorite daydream of mine: deciding which of the cute little houseboats I'd choose for myself, given the chance (haven't seen a "for sale" sign yet!). Wildlife--from red foxes to waterfowl to a feral cat colony--thrives. Just blocks from home yet a world away, we find ourselves marvelling that it's very hard to believe we're still in the 416 area code.
Though often used as a shooting location by Toronto's film industry and noted by Frommer's as unique in North America, the 14 km-long Scarborough Bluffs remain one of the city's best-kept secret beauty spots. See what you may have missed by taking a virtual tour of Toronto's miles of waterfront here. And unlike provincial and federal parks, access to Toronto's parks and beaches is completely free of charge. Beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Heya! I realize this is sort of off-topic however I needed to ask.
    Does building a well-established website such as yours require
    a lot of work? I am brand new to running a blog however I do write in
    my journal every day. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my own experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    Also visit my site ... http://haircarehealthtips.com
    Feel free to surf my blog post african american natural hair care

    ReplyDelete